12.04.2008

Creativity in Worship

This morning I was doing a devotion and spending some time with God. I recently have been personally evaluating my ministry and how I can humbly look for ways in which God is trying to show me ways to grow as one who, on a weekly basis, leads others to His Throne in corporate worship. The obvious facets and factors in life can sometimes make us unresponsive, callous, and uncreative when we come to times of worship, and I certainly am no different from anyone else. Bear with me as I explain a little more. 
In my ministry we try to bring the creative gifts/talents that God has given us as offerings to God as well as offerings to the body of Christ as we try to communicate to others the Glory of God in ways that sometimes aid and sometimes have the ability to surpass that which words cannot describe. At the same time, as with all artists, there are moments or spells in life where we feel creatively drained (the good news is that we are the CHURCH and have other brothers and sisters who can help pick up the slack when we find ourselves in this kind of "funk"). I am so incredibly grateful to have people surrounding me who are blessed with amazing creativity. To be completely transparent, there creativity often surpasses my own, even when I am having a good day! (creatively speaking). 
I was reading an excerpt from a book called Inside Out Worship by Matt Redman (and friends). It is a truly wonderful book filled with tons of wisdom from prominent worship leaders, pastors, and authors of our day. I was reading an entry from Matt Redman called " The Adventurous Pursuit of Creativity" and to say the least, it really spoke to things that I have been thinking about lately. 
Redman writes, 
"Creativity in its purest form is a reflex-- a flash of inspiration coming forth from the artist who has glimpsed the splendor of the Divine. Putting that into the context of a church worship service, creativity does not come from a desire to be musically clever, or to do something new just because variety, as we say, is the spice of life. Instead, it's an imaginative and heartfelt response to the received revelation of God. As we see more and more of the goodness, greatness, and majesty of God, we find ourselves responding ever more imaginatively with creative expressions of joy, thanksgiving, and reverence. As well as being a response to God, creativity is also a reflection of Him." (Inside Out Worship, pg. 70)
Creativity is extremely important to the Body of Christ. It assists ever so greatly in how we proclaim, respond, and reflect what God has done for us. It's something that as Redman states, "...is a mind set that needs to be actively developed-- especially if we have fallen into the 'this is the way we do things' trap." (pg. 73) It can thrive or die in very fine circumstances; we must constantly be encouraging to those who are seeking creative ways to communicate the awesome Works, Glory, and Splendor of our God. Whether or not you are an artist and you just happen to be stumbling upon my blog, we are the Church, let us lift one another up, and together worship and serve this truly magnificent God. 
Blessings, 
Brennan 





 

1 comment:

Kyle Reed said...

I know exactly what you are talking about being in a funk. I have been there before. All you can think about is going home and playing video games or watching tv. the problem is, the day just started and you are suppose to be planning a three week sermon series/service. Been there, and will continue to be there.

I think Redman is right on, his definition of creativity being a reflex is so true. that is why inspiratation can hit you at any moment and some of your best ideas come from some of the craziest places.
Good points here.

I am was thinking more about this post over the weekend and started to think back to a post or series of post by drischoll on silence and solitude. Often times I think that music goes right along with creativity. In my mind it does, but sometimes I think music gets in the way of creativity, or for lack of better words, noise gets in the way of creativity. Drischoll talks a lot about being surrounded by noise, and never taking time to be silent before God. Read more here:http://theresurgence.com/md_blog
As well, Nouwen, in his book "The way of the Heart" brings up great points about silence and solitude.
I think these are two great resources for becoming more creative, if that is possible.